Monday 12 September 2016

Linguistics

Definitions of types of linguistic types
  • Dialect - Variations in words and structures associated with different geographical locations.
  • Sociolect - Variations in language use associated with membership of a particular social group.
  • Accent - Variations in pronunciation associated with a particular geographical location.
  • Idiolect - Variation in language use associated with an individual's personalised speech.
My linguistic fingerprint:


I was born in Bristol and I have lived here all my life. My dad is Sicilian and can read and speak Italian. However some words that my dad uses I cannot understand because I learnt Italian and not the dialect of Sicilian. For example 'lui' in Sicilian means 'him' whereas in Italian it is a boys name even though it is pronounced the same way. I work in Victoria's Secret and we are told to use phrases such as 'cash wrap' for tills, 'the fits' for changing rooms, 'stock out' for delivery, so even though I am of an English background I use the American dialect because the company I work for is American. Personally I think that I use a lot of sociolect terms because of my age group, this would include words like 'bare' meaning lots of, 'bait' meaning obvious and 'peak' meaning something bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

michael rosen - word of mouth documentary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yddxh Notes : Social media relies on imperative sentences so drops the auxiliaries obscuring the ind...